Sunday, September 10, 2017

Vintage Cupboard Door Sconce Lights

 Here's another project in my bedroom makeover.  A dear friend of mine gave me a stack of these old cupboard doors (I have just ONE left!) and I've used them in several rooms in the house.  One became a retro message board in my kitchen and two became coat hook racks in my closet turned mudroom.  And now these two are holding vintage glass wall lamps in the bedroom.
 I really did very little to these to get them ready.  I removed the hardware and painted the little knob (I may replace it with a glass knob eventually).  I drilled a large hold for the lamp cord to slip through.  And THIS is the beauty of this project:  No special wiring into the wall needed!  The wire runs down behind the door and plugs into an outlet already in the wall! That's it.  I did decide to clean up the hinges although leaving them as is or removing altogether would also be an option.
This is by far the easiest and best method for removing layers and layers of old paint on hardware and all you need is an old pot, baking soda and water.  Now because these are so old, they still have a worn look to them but that's fine with me.  Here is a link to detailed instructions on how to do this -- super easy and no harsh chemicals!
You could of course use any doors or even reclaimed wood and any sconces.  I found this gorgeous one at a local flea market for just 8.00.  But the lady only had one.  I debated and debated then decided to buy it in the hopes I'd find another similar one online.
And thank you Ebay . . . because a few days later, I found this one.  I made sure that they were both the same height and extended out from the wall the same distance.  This one was a bit more pricey at 25.00 but it was so worth it to have it.  Even though it's different, it's the same style/era and I actually LOVE that they ARE different.
I found my biggest challenge was finding shades for these! They were either too big or too small.  I found these at my local IKEA and I think they're perfect.  I love the gathered fabric -- to me they still have that vintage look to them.
Here's a peek at the room so far with the doors, the window and side tables I re-did.  A few more projects to go and I should be finished.
These sconce lights are a great way to add wall lighting without having to do wiring into the wall -- quick and easy!

On any given week (depending on how busy I am!) I love to participate in Link Parties.  These gals put a lot of time and effort into hosting these parties so I always want to show my appreciation by directing my readers to these blogs. 
 
Monday
Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday
Friday



26 comments:

  1. Oh....I LOVE these. I love the doors, I love the lamps. Great job in putting all that together. Like me you do a bit at a time as you find what you want to add to that room. Loving it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I'm usually not too patient when I have something in mind that I want so thankfully I found the second light quickly!

      Delete
  2. wow !!!
    you are so creative my friend to turn these gifted doors into a beautiful show pieces !
    peek into the room is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the old windows. I've had a bunch for years and haven't done anything with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. Get those windows out and do something fun with them! So easy!

      Delete
  4. This is such a great idea - love the doors and the sconces. Beautiful look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool, Lauren. I've never seen this idea before. The small lamps are so unique and pretty. I can't believe you found two lamps that look very similar to each other. Your vintage room looks so charming.

    ~Sheri

    ps...thank you for your prayers for Nel. Hopefully when the storm comes her way, it will have lessened some and not be so bad. All these winds and rains and floods are fierce right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lauren,what a fabulous idea using the doors and those sconces are so vintage and beautiful!! I love that you can hide the wiring behind them. Your room is really looking wonderful. I'd love to be a guest!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren your room is coming along nicely and the addition of the door sconces makes quite a farmhouse statement. I also like the fact that they are a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a neat idea! Are the sconce lights attached to the wall or can you move them around (like a table lamp)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is really permanently attached. The doors are hung on the wall with D-rings. The lamps are hanging on the front of the doors. This way, if the lamp needs re-wired or I have to change the bulb, I just lift it off the door and do what I need to do. AND if we move, these babies are coming with me!

      Delete
  9. They are darling, and I love that they are different as well! What a clever idea. I host a link party, Share Your Cup Thursday. It goes live Weds. at 4 p.m. MST. I'd love if you linked up some time.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jann - I appreciate the invite to the party and will add your party to my list.

      Delete
  10. Hi Lauren, What a cool idea! How nice is that not having to worry about the stupid wiring headache that comes with installing sconces. ha. I absolutely love a nice sconce for that warm elegant ambience. What a great idea that the wires can be hidden behind that. If you find a really long door like that you could even turn one horizontal behind your bed. I love those old doors because the paneled woodwork is so cool. Great idea on that one. pinning:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful way to use the doors. Your room is looking so comfy, unique and shabby-chic.
    I love the tip about removing the layers and layers of paint and there are no harsha chemicals involved. Brilliant.
    Susan from Fruitfulwords

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful way to use the doors. Your room is looking so comfy, unique and shabby-chic.
    I love the tip about removing the layers and layers of paint and there are no harsha chemicals involved. Brilliant.
    Susan from fruitfulWords

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful way to use the doors. Your room is looking so comfy, unique and shabby-chic.
    I love the tip about removing the layers and layers of paint and there are no harsha chemicals involved. Brilliant.
    Susan from FruitfulWords

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! It's getting there! Hopefully it will be finished soon!

      Delete
  14. This is such an effective decoration / light source in the bedroom, Lauren! Love how you have used the vintage doors, and especially that you can use existing plugs! Thank you so much for sharing this great project with us at The Hearth and Soul Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lauren, I've heard of the blog Miss Mustard Seed. Does she still blog - I'd love to visit? ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMGOSH, Ms Lauren. I absolutely LOVE your blog!!! I am on a short break from blogging-although I did do a post today but I ran across your blog by a fluke. You are my kinda gal. I am your newest follower and going to put you on my sidebar so I see your posts when you issue them. Have a wonderful weekend....Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea Lauren and they really look lovely in the bedroom. They are a beautiful show piece and make such a gorgeous statement

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look amazing!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now--that's a GOOD friend :) Love the old doors and adding the sconce lamps was a great idea! Thank you for sharing @Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am always leery of electrical projects so this is a great alternative! Love that you can just drill a hole and hide the cord! Your room looks great. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!